MENTAL CAPACITY ACT
SC0301 Level 1
SC0301.1 Level 2
1/2 or 1 Day
This course presents the Mental Capacity Act 2005 in a format that is both easy to digest and apply. Attending delegates will typically be healthcare and care staff who need to know what the act requires of them and why and
how to ensure compliance in their daily work practices.
Level 1 is primarily for care staff. Level 2 is aimed at senior staff,
managers & service owners who may then combine this course
with Level 3 deprivation of liberty safeguards (SC0301.2).
The Mental Capacity Act 2005 aims to put the needs and wishes of a person who lacks capacity at the heart of any decision-making process. It provides clear guidelines for carers and professionals about who can take decisions and in which situations.
- Introduction and course overview
- Who does the act affect?
- Mental capacity defined
- Core principles of the act
- Lack of capacity
- Capacity assessments
- Examples of help that may aid a person to make their
- Included, excluded and advance decisions
- Worked examples
- Record keeping
- Limitations on restraint
- Lasting & enduring powers of attorney
- Summary & practical actions required in the workplace
- Course evaluation